Saturday, February 27, 2010

snowicane feb 2010

This week NYC got slammed with what weathercasters were calling a “snowicane” for the majority of the week.  It started on Thursday morning with a wintery mix of snow & rain which continued for most of the day.  I have been helping a friend out with errands and paperwork and had scheduled to go over Thursday morning to do some work.  She lives in the West Village less than a mile from our building (and not conveniently located near any subway stops – UGH!) so I have been walking over, which proved to be not so fun.  I bundled up, put on my rain boots, grabbed the umbrella and headed out.  It wouldn’t have been so bad if the weather would have made up it’s mind whether it wanted to snow or rain, but instead it did both!  Yuck!!!  Luckily all of my work was inside and I didn’t have to run around in it.  I walked back home and ate lunch before going to volunteer that afternoon.  With the weather not cooperating, I took the subway in to volunteer and was hoping by the time I was done that the rain would be done so the snow could stick.  This proved to be the case and by 4p the snow was starting to accumulate on the ground so I took the opportunity to walk home.  At the time this seemed like a good idea, I could walk home leisurely and snap pictures of the freshly fallen powder.  :)  But halfway home I thought my fingers were going to fall off, I was having trouble taking pictures with numb phalanges that couldn’t feel the trigger on my camera.  I did manage to snap these…

DSCN2715  DSCN2710 DSCN2712 DSCN2713

 

The storm continued to gain strength and threw the night dumped about 12” of snow in Manhattan.  Nick and I stayed inside for most of the day on Friday but I was able to convince him to take a walk with me to Washington Square Park and through our neighborhood. 

DSCN2718   DSCN2721

arch at Washington Sq. Park, Nick making a snowball

DSCN2724 DSCN2728

Nick making a snowman, another snowman

DSCN2729 DSCN2732

in the park

DSCN2733

me

DSCN2734

Christopher St. in the West Village (LOVE the look of the arching trees!!!)  Would take a picture of every street that looks like this!!!

We are supposed to have a few snow showers continuing through the weekend, but the worst is over.  February set a record for most snowfall in a month, breaking the previous one set back in the 1890’s!!!  In the city we got between 18 & 24”.   

There might be another storm headed our way this coming week, fingers crossed!!! 

1 comment:

  1. AHHHH!!!! I LOVE IT! How fun. I am so enjoying living vicariously through you! I can tell you are happy and seem to be fitting right in to the New York lifestyle. Wish I was there!

    BTW: Your scarf is so cute. I have been crocheting beanie hats for my girls with cute big flowers. Very fun!

    Also, I have a yummy crock pot recipe I want to send you (since you have the perfect weather for a warm meal). I'll check FB to see if I can find your email.
    "Talk" soon! :)
    Jess

    ReplyDelete