Tuesday, February 16, 2010

6 months

Hard to believe last Monday Nick and I have been married for 6 months already.  *Truthfully, it had slipped my mind what the day actually was.*  I don’t know where the time has gone!  Doesn’t seem possible.   Maybe it’s because of the change in location or how different life is now, I don’t know. 

Nick surprised me with taking me to dinner to “One if by Land, Two if by Sea”.  This is a saying made famous by Paul Revere click here for the story (as you remember from my previous post, Nick is obsessed with American history), so this was very fitting.  We have walked by this restaurant before when we’ve been out walking in our neighborhood, it’s located in the West Village.  The ambiance inside was rustic & very romantic!  Just to the left of the door is a grand piano with a pianist playing classical music that guides you in to the bar area where a fire is roaring.  The tables are cozy and stained glass colors the walls and leads your eye up to the vaulted ceiling.   

We decided that this would sort of be our Valentine celebration since I don’t like paying an inflated price for a meal on Valentine’s.  It was also “restaurant week” in NYC, so they had a prix fixe menu developed for a discounted price.  You had a selection of appetizers, main course, and dessert. We both got the duck tureen (me not knowing what it REALLY was) for our appetizer.  I made this decision from process of elimination – I didn’t want the bean soup & I hate micro green salads so this was the only thing that sounded remotely appetizing to me.  When it arrived it looked amazing, a little brick of pressed duck meat accompanied by a pear chutney, but my tureen had about 1/4” of a waxy white coating top it.  I glanced at Nicks and noticed that I couldn’t see this on his, so I asked about it and he said do you know what it is?  I said no & that I should probably wait to find out until I was done eating it.  I tried to eat that top layer, but was finding it hard to digest -it had this greasy texture to it.  So I finally just flipped the brick over and ate from the bottom up, leaving the white top on my plate.  Apparently this waxy layer was duck fat and it’s coveted for being delicious!  I was not impressed!  :)  For our main course selections:  I had the cheese ravioli (this was by far the best I had EVER tasted)  & Nick had red snapper, and then for dessert I had the chocolate cake & Nick the crème brulee (for a change – this is my favorite dessert).   

Typically I eat about half of what’s on my plate at a restaurant (and Nick will usually finish my scraps before we leave), but I LOVED the portion size at One if by Land – it was perfect for me!  I cleaned my plate! 

Such a great night!  So thankful for such a thoughtful husband!  xoxo     

1 comment:

  1. Duck fat??...hmmm Doesn't sound delish to me either! :) Sounds like a cool restaurant though.

    ReplyDelete