Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Chelsea love

Last weekend we wandered into the Chelsea neighborhood to do some exploring…  And let me just say I am in LOVE!!!  This area is so cute, it is a designers delight!  The architectural details are thoughtful, the spaces are hip, and if you love to people watch – this is your place!

chelsea-collage-test

1, 2, 3, & 5.  Chelsea Marketplace, home to Food Network studios and about a million food stores & bakeries!  Yum!  I had to take a picture of the GIANT Nutella (#5) we saw in an Italian grocery store, who needs $70 worth of Nutella?  Alice?  :)

4. A random building.

6. Walkway that meanders above ground throughout the area.  This particular section where the glass is, is a a sort of amphitheatre section for people to sit and watch what’s going on on the street. 

7.  Detail on the walkway of how it integrates with the vegetation.

8. Another random building…  I liked the materials used and how the building elements interact with each other.

9. Outside seating area at The Standard Grill & Bar, LOVE the light fixtures and how they break up the space between the walkway above and tables below.  On the other side of this building was an open air outside bar that is defined by the restaurant on one side, adjacent building & the walkway above.  One look at this space and it DRAWS you in. (I don’t have a picture – this is about the time when Nick was calling me the “paparazzi”! for taking SO many pictures, so I reluctantly stopped snapping them for about 10 minutes.  I need to go back!!!)   

10.  Outside of The Standard there was a public seating area with yellow picnic tables.  I thought it was *visually* interesting &  somewhat strange that they covered the bollards with knitted “socks”. 

11.  Building by architect Frank Ghery!

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha before I even read your comment about the Nutella, I was going to comment on it!!!
    There are people out there who can use $70 worth of that heavenly stuff :)

    ReplyDelete