Friday, October 23, 2009

the best night

Last night while Nick was in class I made my FAVORITE dinner, roasted chicken!  I was a little nervous because although we’ve been making this dish for years, Nick is always the one to prepare the bird and get it in the over.  I usually chop the veggies.  :)  It always looks so disgusting when he’s taking out the insides of the bird, but luckily they package it all up for you in a neat little plastic bag.  And then the fun part came – smoothering the chicken with butter, GARLIC (yay!!), salt & pepper, and stuffing it with lemons.  I was unsure of the direction the bird should sit, breats up or down, in the end I put them down.  Apparently there isn’t a wrong way, some people like the breasts down because then they are more tender and juicy, Nick usually does it the other way (& I think this is the way I prefer because then the skin on the breasts is nice and crispy!)  If you can’t tell, I like white meat!  It turned out so YUMMY as always, I think it’s pretty hard to screw up!  I bought a cheap bottle of white wine from Trader Joe’s to enjoy with the meal too.

After dinner we watched the Yankee’s game & the Office!  I was ready to just stay in and relax for the rest of the evening when Nick announced we were going out on an adventure!  I was less than THRILLED…  I gave him a hard time the entire time I was getting ready wanting to know where we were going.  And he refused to tell me, saying things like “I think you will like the place”, “we are going to meet some of your friends” (which I ONLY have one here!), “maybe we’re going to see a person or something you like”.  And I’m supposed to be excited about going out?!?!  Mind you, if I tried to spring this on him it would NOT fly!  He would refuse to get dressed unless he knew exactly where we were going!!  Anyway, we get out the door and on the subway (RELUCTANTLY) to go uptown!  We exit the 6 train at 59th St and head west (I have no clue where we are, and he says (in true Nick fashion) “there’s a 20% chance that we might be lost”!!)  Ugh!!  We are walking down this cute street with sparkling lights and big white balloons tied to all of the storefronts & railings and come upon SERENDIPITY!!  I had sent Nick an email earlier in the week raving about their famous FROZEN hot chocolate.  Let me just say it was AMAZING!!!!  I had the original and Nick had the peanut butter one (my fave, but it was kind of rich), the glasses were huge and we felt like we were going to have to be rolled out the door!  The kitschy interior and the Tiffany-esque  lamps only added to the experience.  Definitely a must see when you are in the city!!  (Thanks Alice!)

DSCN2084 

So, hopefully next time Nick tries to surprise me I will go with the flow a *little* better!  :)   Thanks for the treat Nick!

No comments:

Post a Comment